The following is a list of literature recommendations that some of the
chaplains have found effective in their correctional ministry. If you
have any other resources that you would like to add, please email the Chaplaincy Department. Please note
that this list has merely been created for your convenience and for ministry
ideas. Although our office would like to be able to supply these
resources, we are unable to do so at this time.
For a list of resources for correctional chaplains, click HERE.
- "Prison Ministry: Understanding Prison Culture Inside and Out" by Lennie Spitale
- "Thinking About Jail and Prison Ministries: A Guide for the Lay Volunteer" by Larry Nielsen
- "Ministry to the Incarcerated" by Henry G. Covert
- "When Prisoners Return: Why We Should Care and How You and Your Church Can Help" by Pat Nolan and Chuck Colson
- "God Behind Bars: The Amazing Story of Prison Fellowship" by John Berry
- "Staying Well: Strategies for Corrections Staff" by Caterina Spinaris Tudor
- "Games Criminals Play" by Bud Allen and
- "Inside the Criminal Mind" by Dr. Stanton E. Samenow, Ph. D.
Crime Victim's book" by Morton Bard and Dawn Sangrey
on Death Row" by Velma Barfield
Jail & Prison Ministry for the 21st Century" by Thomas W. Beckner and
- "Life Sentence"
by Charles W. Colson
- "Crime Fighter" by Frank Costantino
- "Governing Prisons" by John J. Dilulio, Jr.
- "Death Row Chaplain" by Byron Eshelman and Frank
- "Good News About Injustice" by Gary A. Haugen
- "A Living Tradition, Penitentiary Chaplaincy" by
Pains of Imprisonment" by Robert Johnson and Hans Toch, eds.
- "The Crime of Punishment" by Karl Menninger
- "How to Establish a Jail and Prison Ministry" by
- "Victimology: The Victim and His Criminal" by Stephen
- "The Crime of Imprisonment" by George Bernard Shaw
and Mercy" by Donald Smarto
- "Crime and the Responsible Community" by John Stott
and Nick Miller, eds.
Though You Were in Prison With Them" by Ricard A. Symes
and its Victims" by Daniel W. Van Ness
Justice: How We Can Revolutionize our Response to Wrongdoing" by Ted Wachtel
- "Changing Lenses" by Howard Zehr
- "Retributive Justice, Restorative Justice" by Howard
- "The Christian as Victim" by Howard Zehr and Dave
What's the Difference?" by Fritz Ridenour
- "Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy" by
- "Houses of Healing: A Prisoner's Guide to Inner Power and Freedom"
by Robin Casarijan
- "The Wounded Healer" by
Henri J.M. Nouwen
- "Let your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation" by
Parker J. Palmer
- "The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and
Caring" by Parker J. Palmer
- "The Way of the Heart: Desert Spirituality and Contemporary
Ministry" by Henri J.M. Nouwen
- "Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith" by
Henri J.M. Nouwen
- "Out of Solitude: Three Meditations on the Christian Life"
by Henri J.M. Nouwen
- "The Potter's Rib:
Mentoring for Spiritual Formation" by Brian A. Williams
- "Spiritual Mentoring: A
Guide for Seeking and Giving Direction" by Kieth R. Anderson & Randy
- "Grief, Transition and
Loss: A Pastor's Practical Guide" by Wayne E. Oates
- "When Faith is Tested:
Pastoral Responses to Suffering and Tragic Death" by Jeffrey R. Zurheide
- "Crisis Counseling" by
Howard W. Stone
- "A Primer in Pastoral Care"
by Jeanne Stevenson-Moessner
- "On Grief and Grieving:
Finding the Meaning of Grief Through the Five Stages of Loss" by Elizabeth
Kubler-Ross & David Kessler
- "Challenging the Impossible" by Joe Fauss